Thursday, June 18, 2009

moonlighting

(Photo Credit: Jack Anthony)

Not sure I've tooted my own horn before on this blog, but I also have a poetry blog, over at Karmic Kudzu. I've been preoccupied with, well, everything else for the past while, but I've just posted something, so if you're in the mood, feel free to head over and check it out!

I was extremely prolific back in the fall of '07, spring of '08, then dropped off a little bit, and the past few months I've written so very little. It's a difficult thing for me to sit down and try to write a poem. So I do other things, I blog, I journal, and I go about the work of living. Every so often something occurs to me, and it feels more like a picture -- and that's when something poem-like happens.

You other writers out there: what's your process? when do you write? why do you write?

2 comments:

  1. CD: Thanks for sharing the link to your other blog. I do love your poetry and completely respect your process. My Gabe was a poet when I met him and he wrote morning pages every day and then sat in cafes in the afternoons and let his poems emerge.

    I personally find that I have to write every day. Morning pages are essential to the quality of my writing. I have to have the first few minutes of every day to purge my negativity and let go of my resentments so I can be clear to sit down in the afternoon for a scheduled hour and just write whatever comes out.

    Another essential piece of my writing is inspiration. That's why I like Artist Dates, because I need to keep my creativity active. I need that hour a week to do something special for my innter artist like go to an artsy movie, a museum, Barnes and Noble, Blick, or do watercolors in Rittenhouse Square.

    It all boils down to time for me. My artist just needs a little attention. Great post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend The Artists' Way. It is not a book but a workbook. One of the hardest exercises is the simplest - write three pages in a journal every day...

    "[TAW] is a workbook for anyone who is creative, feels blocked in their creativity or wishes that they were more creative. The book begins with the statement that *everyone* is creative and has the artist within them, and the point of this course is to recover their inner artist. It is divided into a 12 week course, with assignments much like any semester-type college class."

    http://paperartstudio.tripod.com/artistsway/

    http://www.theartistsway.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin