Wednesday, August 12, 2009

LIVESTRONG Challenge


One of my best Philadelphia friends was diagnosed with lung cancer earlier this year. It was a long, painful struggle for her just to get a proper diagnosis. The last several months she has been doing chemo treatments and has been reacting so well to them that she was recently declared in remission. Amy's fight is not over, but we are filled with hope.

When Amy was first diagnosed with cancer, the doctors couldn't determine what kind of cancer it was and wanted to figure it out before developing a treatment plan. Rightfully so, I wished they would just hurry up and figure it out already. As her friend, I felt helpless. I can't even imagine the feelings of helplessness Amy must have been experiencing. When she finally was diagnosed with lung cancer and started the chemo, her pain went away. She moved back into her apartment and went back to work. With a treatment plan in place, she could feel proactive and better aligned to really fight it.

Amy has been so strong through this all, and now I feel as if I can actually do a tiny part to help. The LIVESTRONG Challenge is coming to the Philadelphia area August 23. Their slogan is "Pick a Fight with Cancer." According to their website, "The LIVESTRONG Challenge is the Lance Armstrong Foundation's signature fundraising event inspired by the hope, courage and determination that exist in all of us. We take to the streets on bikes and on our feet, uniting individuals to stand together to fight cancer."

I invite you to read the message from my friend Amy below and consider sponsoring me for the 5K walk. I'm walking on a team with Amy and trying to raise my $250 contribution the Obama way--just a few dollars from lots of people.

Amy's message:
In March of 2009, I was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer at the age of 32. The cancer had spread from my lung to my bones and lymph nodes. Thanks to many prayers from friends, family, and people who have never even met me, along with the great treatment I received from my doctors, my cancer is in remission.

According to current statistics, lung cancer makes up 15% of all cancer diagnoses and 29% of all cancer deaths. It is the second most diagnosed cancer in men and women (after prostate and breast, respectively), but it is the number one cause of death from cancer each year in both men and women. So why is the amount of funding for lung cancer only 5% of that given for breast cancer research?

The number of cases of advanced stage lung cancer in young women who are non-smokers is on the rise for reasons not yet known. Please help us change these statistics by supporting our team in the Lance Armstrong Cancer Challenge! You can help by joining a team, making a donation, or by simply sending prayers for a cure.

The Lance Armstrong Foundation unites people to fight cancer, believing that unity is strength, knowledge is power, and attitude is everything.

Through the dollars and awareness that we raise, we can inspire and empower individuals, and we can make life better for the millions of people across the globe fighting cancer today.

Please support me as I make a difference in the cancer fight through my participation in the LIVESTRONG Challenge. Thank you!


With great love,
Amy


Anyone can visit my personal web page and help me in the efforts to support the Lance Armstrong Foundation, my friend Amy and the many others like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin