Monday, August 3, 2009

Jen Childs Rocks My World

So, I had mentioned the Barrymore nominations. I attended the epic-long ceremony to announce the nominated performers, designers, and directors; and I have to say, a lot of people are scratching their heads. This is not meant to detract from the work that did get recognized ... but wow. If you're curious, go over to the Theatre Alliance site and check them out.

But after that, I had the inexpressible pleasure of watching Jen Childs workshop a performance piece at the Suzanne Roberts Theatre for a select group of friends and fellow artists. Jen is a co-founder of 1812 Productions, and a marvelously funny performer; but that is not what makes her (in my humble opinion) perhaps the best female actor in the city. Rather, what I treasure about her is that she has a directness, an honesty and openness and total willingness to go to scary emotionally vulnerable places on stage -- and she takes the audience with her every step of the way.

The piece tonight took us through Jen's complicated relationship with dance. I don't want to give too much away, as the piece isn't finished and hasn't been publicly presented ... but by the end of the performance I had laughed and cried, both with abandon, and I felt like a bigger-souled person for it.

Watch for Jen Childs. Seriously, people, your life here in Philly is not complete unless you've seen her perform. And when this piece opens, buy tickets and take all your closest friends.

(And if Jen reads this and will send me a picture to post, I'll put it up -- otherwise, I can't think of anything that would do justice to her awesomeness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin